As Osteopaths we use soft tissue techniques, gentle joint manipulation, stretching and dry needling in the aim to increase the mobility of joints, relieve muscle tension, enhance blood flow and effect the nerve supply to tissues. During a consult we inform patients on the cause of their symptoms and educate them on how best to rehabilitate the injury or adjust simple lifestyle elements that may be affecting their musculoskeletal system.
The aim of our treatment is to rebalance the body so that it can function accordingly and therefore be in a state where optimal healing can occur.
Our lives seem to be getting busier and busier, but never take your health for granted. Those small lifestyle changes or few exercises prescribed can make all the difference to optimise your health – increase your energy, mobility and overall emotional state while decreasing everyday pain and discomfort.
A few take home tips:
Drink more water
- Not only does it increase your energy levels, water can help you concentrate (the brain is approximately 85% water)
- Flushes the body of toxins through sweat and urination
- Aids in digestion
- Relieves headaches causes by dehydration
- Exercise improves your mood by influencing the parts of the brain that regulate stress and anxiety. It can also increase brain sensitivity for the hormones serotonin and norepinephrine, which relieve feelings of depression and increase the production of endorphins, which are known to help produce positive feelings and reduce the perception of pain
- Helps to strengthen muscles and joints and increase bone density
- Reduce risk of heart disease
Correct your posture
- Strong muscles can help with postural correction and reduce symptoms of bad posture such as back pain and headaches.
- Ensure your pillow and mattress provide the right support while you sleep
- Ergonomic workplace assessments are a great start to ensuring that you have correct posture while at work.
For more specific exercises or other advice please don’t hesitate to ask your Osteopath during your next consultation to provide information anything you could be doing at home or work to optimise your health.